It is hard to believe that this day is already here. Joshua had his first day of kindergarten today. The summer has been full of anxiety for him about this big step in his life. He has always enjoyed his preschool classes but this was going to be a new world for him and I. This morning was a roller coaster of emotions for us. He woke up happy, but then quickly remembered today he was going to school. He tried to hide under the covers for a while but eventually got up when I told him we should get ready quickly so we can watch his friend Diego get on the school bus. Joshua is going to ride the bus also but I decided to drop him off and pick him up the first day. He got dressed and ate his breakfast a lot faster than I thought he would. We saw the kids gathering at the end of our driveway for the bus so we went out there to talk to the neighbors while they waited. Joshua was very excited for school at this point. After the bus picked up the kids we went in inside to finish getting ready. That's when it started getting a little rough. He said he didn't want to go to school and was just going to stay home with me. He started getting really upset. I tried my best to not get upset with him, but I told him we didn't have a choice and he had to go! Tim stayed home with Dylan and Joshua and I left for the school. On the way there he had lots of questions. He was afraid I would go to the store and forget to pick him up. I assured him I would never forget to pick him up! We pulled up in car line and he got upset and was hugging the back of the chair crying he didn't want to go. After a minute of this I decided to park and walk him in. It took a few minutes to calm him down but he did and into school we went. It was a little hectic to say the least inside the school ( and a really long story I won't bore you with) but once he saw the other kids and his friend Diego again, things got much better. We waited in line until his teacher was ready to take the class. He hugged me a few times but he went off with his class with no problems. I was very proud of him. I was glad I ended up going inside with him because I got to see that he had calmed down and was where he was supposed to be. I have to admit, as excited as I have been for school to start, I was more upset than I thought I would be. I was really sad when I came home with out him and only had Dylan. It is a bittersweet feeling. I am so proud of him and I know he is ready for school but this starts another chapter in my life that I am not as ready for as I thought. For 5 years Joshua was with me most of the time. We always would come and go as we pleased. We had a chance to do a lot of fun things together. I am excited for him that he is growing up, but I love him so much and want him to stay my little baby forever. I pray that he is having a great day at school and will let you know how it went!
2 comments:
I can't imagine, but it happens to all of us. Then they realize that school is fun and all the kids are there and fun activities. No one likes the first day of school- even in college I found myself uneasy on the first day! Sounds like you did a great job- way to go mommy! :)
What a handsome young man. I know that you were all anxious about how he was going to do on his first day of "big boy" school. Sounds like things started off pretty rough but all and all went pretty well.
I am sure that it was harder on mommy than it was on him. I am so glad that I have a few more years before I have to take Noah to his first day of Kindergarten.
Becky
Post a Comment